An interdisciplinary celebration of the evolving nature of urban art.
Urban Art Stories was a heritage project led by Bounce Theatre with the Saatchi Gallery as a heritage project, funded by The Heritage Lottery.
The aim of the project was to explore the emergence of techniques used by street artists over the years & uncover oral histories from artists about their work.
Over six months, 50 young people participated in between 12 and 60+ hours of workshops exploring the urban art movement through
- – drama
- – art workshops
- – site visits
- – Arts award
During this time they
- – Took photographs
- – Documented their research
- – Helped create an app
- – Devised performance
- – Created an interdisciplinary art installation
Through the project young people
- – Changed their perception about feeling ‘ghetto’ in an art gallery to curating their own exhibit.
- – Independently travelled into London to visit sites of interest.
- – Visited the gallery space without staff.
- – Identified the heritage significance of urban art and the identity it gave the city.